The founder of MAM is the Austrian Peter Röhrig. He is a qualified plastics engineer, has practical business experience from his parents' own industrial enterprise, and is a precise and pragmatic thinker.
The decision to focus on high-quality baby products offering a medical benefit – rather than microwaveable tableware or pharmaceutical packaging which were also shortlisted – was based to a large extent on meticulous analysis, rational business sense and a modern understanding of the market.
For in those days, in the mid-1970s, the market demanded that discerning parents make a compromise: soothers, for example, either had a pretty design or were developed to offer a medical benefit – but the two things could not be found in one product. Until MAM came along.
The first MAM soother was sold in 1976, and the company then gradually evolved to become the world's leading authority on the design of baby products.
- 1976: Founding of MAM in Vienna. First MAM soother sold in Austria.
- 1987: Founding of the international sales and production centre in Switzerland
- 1990: MAM buys the Swedish market leader ’Bambino’
- 1990: MAM’s own factory opens in Hungary (MAM Hungaria)
- 1991: Founding of MAM Germany
- 1997: The MAM Product Development department opens in Siegendorf, Austria
- 1998/99: Founding of MAM Hungary and MAM Brazil
- 2002: MAM’s own latex production starts at ’Thaimed’ in Thailand
- 2008: Founding of MAM Spain and MAM USA
- 2011/12: Founding of MAM Greece and MAM France